Prep 30 mins
Cook 30 mins
My son-in-law makes this wonderful ceviche for us every Christmas and New Years, and for the 4th of July too! Everyone loves it! Serve the ceviche well-chilled in small plastic cups or chilled cocktail glasses (I suggest placing the bowl of ceviche within a larger bowl full of ice to keep it icy cold), along with tostadas chips or tortilla scoops and some chili sauce on the side. Very delicious and refreshing! Note: amounts are approximate-- feel free to adjust measurements to suit your own tastes. Cook time is chill time.
- 2 lbs partially defrosted cooked tailless large shrimp, cut into 1-inch bite sized chunks
- 1 cup lump crabmeat, picked over (optional)
- 1 fresh lemon, juice of
- salt, to taste
- black pepper, to taste
- 3 medium cucumbers, peeled and roughly diced
- 1 stalk celery, chopped
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1 bunch cilantro, chopped
- 1 bunch green onion, chopped
- 4 medium firm tomatoes, diced (preferably on-the-vine)
- 3 fresh limes, juice of
- 1 fresh lemon, juice of
- garlic powder, to taste
- lemon pepper, to taste
- 3 -4 medium firm avocados, diced
- chili or seafood cocktail sauce, optional to serve
- lime tostadas chips or Tostitos Scoops, to serve
- In a medium bowl, mix together the chunks of shrimp (and crab if using) and the juice of one lemon; season to taste with salt and black pepper. Set aside and chill (in the refrigerator or on ice) for 30 minutes to 1 hour.
- Meanwhile, prepare the ceviche by combining all the ingredients (add the avocados last, just before serving) in a large bowl with ice water, stirring well to combine. Drain well; fold in the shrimp, and season to taste with garlic powder and lemon pepper.
- Keep well chilled (preferably on ice) until serving time.
- Serve with tortilla chips and optional chili sauce.
- Ceviche must be served well-chilled, and is best served on the same day it is made.
Excellent salad. I used shrimp and scallops just because scallops were on sale and looked so good. I did change to mango and papaya, only because I was using avocado on another dish, but this is the second time I made it and made it with avocado and crab as the recipe states. I didn't even use cocktail sauce, I just serve in martini glasses on a couple of leaves of lettuce. Refreshing and light. I used it as a nice starter dish. The second time I serve in small lettuce cups on an appetizer bar. Thnx for a great recipe.
Delicious! Used imitation crab and it was wonderful!
This was wonderful! I used shrimp and lobster instead of the crabmeat. I also added diced jalapeno peppers and diced jicama for crunch. Thanks for posting!