1/1 Photo of Shrimp Ceviche "cocktail"
1 hr 10 mins
From Rick Bayless's "Mexico One Plate at a Time". I haven't tried it yet, posting it here for safekeeping.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1/2 cup fresh lime juice
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 1 lb raw shrimp in shells (preferably 41/50)
- 1/2 medium white onion, chopped into 1/4 in pieces
- 1/3 cup cilantro, fresh, plus several sprigs for garnish
- 1/2 cup ketchup
- 1 -2 tablespoon vinegary mexican bottled hot sauce (Tamazula, Valentina or Bufalo)
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil (optional but recommended to smooth out sharpness)
- 1 cup cucumbers or 1 cup jicama, peeled and diced
- 1 avocado, peeled, pitted and cubed
- lime (to garnish)
- tostadas, tortilla chips or saltine, for serving
- 1Bring 1 qt salted water to a boil and add 2 tbsp of the lime juice.
- 2Scoop in the shrimp, cover and let the water return to the boil.
- 3Immediately remove from the heat, set the lid askew and pour off all the liquid.
- 4Replace the cover and let the shrimp steam off the heat for 10 minutes. Spread out the shrimp in a large glass or stainless steel bowl to cool completely.
- 5Peel and devein the shrimp if you wish.
- 6Toss the remaining shrimp with the remaining 1/2 cup lime juice, cover and refrigerate for about an hour.
- 7In a small strainer, rinse the onion under cold water, then shake off the excess liquid.
- 8Add to the shrimp bowl along with the cilantro, ketchup, hot sauce, optional olive oil, cucumber and/or jicama and avocado.
- 9Taste and season with salt, usually about 1/2 teaspoon.
- 10Cover and refrigerate if not serving immediately.
- 11Spoon the ceviche into sundae glasses, martini glasses, or small bowls.
- 12Garnish with sprigs of cilantro and slices of lime.
- 13Serve with tostadas, tortilla chips or saltines to enjoy alongside.
Browse Our Top North American Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Shrimp Ceviche "cocktail"
Serving Size: 1 (221 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 179.4
- Calories from Fat 92
- Total Fat 10.3 g
- Saturated Fat 1.4 g
- Cholesterol 95.3 mg
- Sodium 717.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 12.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.6 g
- Sugars 5.9 g
- Protein 11.6 g