Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Cook1 hr 20 mins
Nothin says summer to me like ceviche, a mojito, and bare feet on the patio...Perfect to make ahead or enjoy the time needed for refrigeration with a walk or a head start on that mojito :-)
- 1 lb medium-small shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 2 tablespoons salt
- 3⁄4 cup lime juice (juice from 4-6 limes)
- 3⁄4 cup lemon juice (juice from 2-3 lemons)
- 1 cup finely chopped red onion
- 1 serrano chili, ribs and seeds removed, minced
- 1 cup chopped cilantro
- 1 small cucumber, peeled diced into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 avocado, peeled, seed removed, cut into 1/2-inch chunks
- 4 small lettuce leaves
- corn tortillas or tortilla chips
- Boil shrimp in salted water 1 minute to 2 minutes max, depending on size of shrimp. (Over-cooking the shrimp will turn it rubbery.) Remove shrimp with a slotted spoon and place into a bowl of ice water to stop the cooking.
- Drain the shrimp. Cut each piece of shrimp in half, or into inch-long pieces. Place shrimp in a glass or ceramic bowl. Mix in the lime and lemon juice. Cover and refrigerate for a half hour.
- Mix in the chopped red onion and serrano chile. Refrigerate an additional half hour.
- Right before serving, add the cilantro, cucumber, and avocado.
- Using lettuce leaves as a garnish, serve with chips or wratpped in warm tortillas.
This was great. I mixed it up this morning for a brunch at my mom's house. 18 people gobbled up every last bite. We served it with a green chili egg bake, and all the fixings. All the aunts were asking for the recipe. Thanks VNess, I really liked it. Made it just like the recipe said and didn't change a thing. Simple, great fresh taste.