Recipe by Lester_C
This recipe came from my best friends mother-in-law, and she made it for me when I went out to visit her. The beans thicken it while it bakes, and the flavors blend together wonderfully. It's very hearty, yet low in fat and calories. Served with warm fresh french ( or Italian ) bread, it's delicious!!!
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic, peeled and sliced thin
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 medium red pepper, chopped
- 2 (19 ounce) cans cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can tomatoes, diced
- 1 cup chicken broth or 1 cup vegetable broth
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon thyme
- 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 teaspoon cajun spices or 1 teaspoon creole spices
- 1⁄2 cup kalamata olives or 1⁄2 cup black olives, pitted and halved
- 1 lb large shrimp, shelled,deveined,and halved
- 1⁄2 cup dry breadcrumbs
- 1⁄2 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese
- salt and pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- In large pan, saute garlic, onion and red pepper in oil over medium heat until soft, about 5 minutes.
- Add beans, tomatoes, broth, herbs, olives, salt and pepper.
- Bring to a simmer.
- Add shrimp; cook 3 minutes.
- Turn into large baking dish.
- Top with bread crumbs mixed with parmesan cheese.
- Bake in preheated 400-degree oven until bubbly, about 20 minutes.
- Brown top under broiler if desired.
- Serve with French bread.