Recipe by ~SarahBeth~
This is from Southern Living. So good. I posted as written. However, if you can actually find "cream of shrimp soup" send me some as I have never seen it. NOTE: I sub 1 can cheese soup & 1 can cream of celery for the two cans of cream of shrimp and add some extra shrimp and I think it is good! Prep time includes time to cook rice and shrimp in skillet. :) Also, I will separate this into TWO casserole dishes, then cook one all the way (follow recipe through to the end) and the other I freeze right before sprinkling with cheese. I am jsut careful to eat it within about one month since there is seafood in the casserole. Also, sometimes I make half chicken/half shrimp or one of each. When I add chicken instead of the cream of celery soup I use cream of chicken. I always use the cheese soup. Really the possibilities are endless :) Also, add some cayenne pepper if you like it spicy! We ALWAYS add cayenne!
Top Review by Chef grannybarb
This is wonderful as is, however next time - and there will be many next times i will add some sliced (fresh) mushrooms and even more cayenne pepper. for the topping i used a mix of grated sharp and parmesan cheese and panko. yum!
- 1 1⁄2 cups uncooked long-grain rice
- 1 1⁄2 lbs medium shrimp, raw, peeled and deveined
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 1 green bell pepper, chopped
- 1 onion, chopped
- 3 celery ribs, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 4 green onions, chopped
- 2 (10 3/4 ounce) cans cream of shrimp soup, undiluted
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- 1 cup cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1⁄4 cup fine dry breadcrumb
Directions See How It's Made
- Prepare rice according to package directions.
- Preheat oven to 350*F.
- Melt butter in a large skillet over medium heat; add bell pepper and next 4 ingredients, and sauté 10 to 12 minutes or until tender.
- Stir in soup, shrimp, salt, and pepper; cook 3 minutes or just until shrimp turn pink, taking care not to overcook the shrimp.
- Combine shrimp mixture and rice.
- Pour mixture into a lightly greased 13- x 9-inch baking dish. Sprinkle evenly with 1 cup shredded cheese and 1/4 cup breadcrumbs.
- Bake for 25 minutes or until cheese is melted.
- ENJOY! I like to serve this with french bread warm from the bread machine!