Prep 15 mins
Cook 10 mins
Found in the Complete Greek Cookbook. It looks easy and includes ingredients easily found that my family will eat!
- 1 lb shrimp, raw
- 2 tablespoons butter (or olive oil)
- 3 tomatoes, peeled and chopped
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 garlic clove (or garlic powder equivalent)
- 1 tablespoon brandy
- 1 tablespoon red wine
- 1⁄4 lb feta cheese (optional)
- salt and pepper
- Shell and devein shrimp.
- Melt butter and saute shrimp over medium low heat until pink.
- Remove to casserole dish.
- Add chopped tomatoes, onions and garlic to pan.
- Cook for 5 minutes, adding salt, pepper and liquor during this time.
- Pour sauce over shrimps and arrange thin slices of cheese over it.
- (Note - I have never run across Feta that one could slice - it's usually sold in crumbles here - so sprinkle crumbles on shrimp!).
- Serve immediately, or place under broiler for 2 minute to toast cheese.
I reduced the amount to 1 serving and then made half of that amount as I was making this recipe just for myself. Doing so brought the amount of brandy and wine to just 1/4 tsp each so I just skipped it and it wasn't missed at all. I did add the salt and pepper to the tomato topping at the beginning of cooking and peppered the shrimp while cooking. This made a lovely meal with a fresh green salad.