Prep 30 mins
Cook 30 mins
this is an easy main course for a crowd, and not for low fat diets.
- 2 lbs shrimp, shelled,deveined,shells reserved
- 3 cups heavy cream
- 1⁄4 cup champagne or 1⁄4 cup vermouth
- 5 tablespoons butter
- 6 scallions, white parts chopped
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- salt and pepper
- hot sauce
- 4 cups oyster crackers
- 1⁄4 teaspoon paprika
- preheat oven to 400.
- butter a 31/2 quart glass baking dish.
- add shrimp in 1 layer, cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate.
- in a saucepan add cream, shells and champagne, bring to a boil, lower to simmer and cook for 25 minutes.
- pour through a strainer into a large bowl.
- in a skillet melt 1 tbsp butter, add scallions and cook for 3 minutes.
- add the cream sauce and simmer until reduced slightly, about 5 minutes, pour back into the bowl.
- season with lemon juice, worcestershire and hot sauce, salt and pepper, and let it cool.
- pour over the shrimp.
- in a processor, or with a rolling pin crush crackers.
- melt remaining 4 tbsp butter in a microwave, add to crumbs, and add paprika.
- crumble over shrimp.
- bake for 25 minutes until bubbly.
- you can run this under the broiler if you want a darker topping.
Oh my goodness! This is a wonderful dish! I halved the amount. Chia's suggestion of cooking the shrimp shells in the cream mixture first to get an extra flavor of shrimp was right on. Next time (and there will be a next time!) I'll try adding some sliced fresh mushrooms. Thanks Chia for posting!