Recipe by Judikins
A scrumptuous appetizer from Mexico with a few American alterations served by the son of a very special lady on her 89th birthday party. Scott spent a lot of time in Mexico and found this to be one of his favorites and now mine too! I think it'll become one of yours as well.
Top Review by karen in tbay
These were tedious to set up and had to struggle to get some of them properly wrapped. Forgot to do the hot pepper sauce before cooking so it was individual choice to add or not. The instructions do not say what to do with the melted butter and I forgot about it anyway. Will probably give this another try so I can drizzle the butter and hot sauce on before cooking.
- 6 slices bacon, cut in half
- 12 large shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 12 slices red onions, rings
- 12 slices monterey jack pepper cheese (~ 1 in.)
- 1 teaspoon garlic salt or 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- Tabasco sauce or your favorite hot sauce
Directions See How It's Made
- Fry bacon leaving it still limp.
- Place 12 half slices of bacon, spaced eveningly, on jelly roll sheet or cookie sheet with sides.
- Place uncooked shrimp on top of each bacon slice.
- Add ring of onion.
- Top each with slice of pepper jack cheese (and or cheddar; it's your personal preference).
- Sprinkle with garlic salt or powder.
- Wrap bacon around shrimp, cheese and onion and secure by using a toothpick.
- Sprinkle a couple drops of hot sauce.
- Broil in oven on top rack for~3 minutes or until shrimp are cooked.
- Serve immediately while hot.