Prep 15 mins
Cook 6 mins
Be sure to soak your skewers for one hour before skewering. You will have 2-3 shrimp per kabob. This can be served on a bed of couscous or orzo pasta for a (Poli' oreo' fagito') excellent meal or served without as an appetizer. This can be broiled as well.
- 1 lb peeled deveined extra large shrimp
- 2 tablespoons yogurt
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon brown sugar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon fresh oregano
- 1 teaspoon parsley
- 6 one inch cubes fresh cantaloupes
- 6 white pearl onions
- 6 cherry tomatoes
- 6 one inch pieces red peppers
- Mix yogurt, lemon juice, olive oil, brown sugar, white pepper, garlic, fresh oregano, & parsley ingredients in shallow dish.
- Add shrimp and toss. Marinate in refrigerator for 1 hour stirring occasionally.
- Cook onions in boiling water to cover 4 to 5 minutes or just until crisp tender and drain. Put on skewers alternating vegetables, cantaloupe and shrimp. Season with salt and pepper.
- Discard marinade.
- Grill 4 to 5 inches from heat 2 to 3 minutes on each side.
Yum, yum, yum, yum. I had to make chicken skewers for my daughter, who also wasn't sure about the hot melon, but the grownups got the recipe as written, and thoroughly enjoyed them! The cantaloupe is a different addition, which we will probably try grilling again. Thank you for inspiring us to get out the grill.
We really enjoyed these. Next time, I'd probably add a little more garlic, because I really love garlic shrimp. The technique of cooking the pearl onions first was great, they were just perfectly done when the shrimp was ready. I'm a little surprised that I actually like barbequed cantaloupe, it made a nice contrast to the shrimp and veggies. Good luck in the contest.
Delightful kabobs!! we enjoyed them very much, very refreshing with the canteloupe and a nice combination of veggies and fruit. I'm afraid it's the wrong time of year for pearl onions for us so I subed with with sweet pickled onions, they were great!! The marinade was especially good, all in all a nice change from the usual, the combination of prawns and canteloupe. Good Luck in the contest!