Ready, Set, Cook! Special Edition Contest Entry: Cajun Shrimp Cakes with a Black Bean and Corn Salsa
- 1 1⁄2 lbs cooked shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 32 ounces Simply Potatoes Traditional Mashed Potatoes
- 1⁄3 cup mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons cajun seasoning
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 small onion
- 7 eggs
- 8 ounces Japanese-style bread crumbs
- 2 cups flour
- vegetable oil
- 1 cup corn, drained
- 1 (15 ounce) can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 red pepper, diced
- 1⁄2 cup cilantro, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 6 green onions, sliced
- 3 limes
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 0.5 (5 ounce) can diced tomatoes (with green chilies)
- Baby Spinach
- In a food processer, chop the cooked shrimp and add to a large bowl. In food processer, chop up the onion. Add to the shrimp. Add the following: 1 package of Simply Potatoes Mashed Potatoes, Mayonaise, 1 1/2 tbsp Cajun Seasoning, 1/2 tsp salt, 1/2 tsp pepper, 1 egg, 1 cup of Panko Bread Crumbs. Mix well. Take approximately a softball size amount and form into patties.
- Put Flour, remaining eggs, whisked and breadcrumbs in 3 separate plates. Take each shrimp cake, coat first in flour, then dip into eggs, and then into bread crumbs. Chill for at least ½ hour. Heat oil in large pan and fry each cake until golden brown.
- To make the salsa, combine corn, black beans, red pepper, cilantro, garlic, green onions, juice from 2 limes, 3 tablespoons of olive oil, 1/2 can of diced tomatoes, 1/2 tbsp cajun seasoning, 1/2 tsp salt, and 1/2 tsp pepper. Chill for at least 1 hour.
- When Shrimp cakes are done, garnish plate with Baby spinach and remaining lime, spoon approximately 1 tablespoon of salsa over the cakes and serve.