Recipe by LizP
If you are looking for a KILLER pasta dish, this is the one. This was my mother's signature dish when I was growing up. It is like something you would get in a Italian fine dining restaurant. Since I have adopted my husband's family traditions for Christmas Eve of doing seafood and no meat, it is our traditional Christmas Eve recipe. I hope you enjoy it. It is also delicious as Chicken Cacciatore or if you just use the vegetables. It seems like a long recipe, but it is actually very, very easy, especially if you make the sauce base ahead of time. The tomato sauce base is delicious on its own, so I make a huge batch and keep it frozen in the freezer to use over pasta in other preparations.
Tomato Sauce Base
- 1⁄4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 large carrot, sliced
- 3 cloves chopped garlic
- 1 small piece salt pork (this is KEY for the unique flavor)
- 28 ounces crushed tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1 teaspoon basil
- 1⁄2 cup red wine
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 chopped green pepper
- salt and pepper
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 red pepper, cut in strips
- 1 green pepper, cut in strips
- salt and pepper
- 2 large tomatoes, cut into 8 wedges each
- 1 large onion, thinly sliced
- 1 cup fresh sliced mushrooms
- 1 1⁄2 cups tomato sauce, base
- 1⁄2 cup white wine
- 2 lbs shrimp
- garlic salt
- 1 1⁄2 lbs fettuccine
Directions See How It's Made
- Tomato Sauce Base: Heat olive oil and brown the carrot, salt pork and garlic for 5 minutes.
- Add remaining sauce ingredients and simmer for 40 minutes. After simmering is done discard the carrot, salt pork and green pepper.
- Cacciatore: Heat 2 Tbl oil and add red pepper, green pepper, garlic, salt and pepper and saute for 5 minutes.
- Add the tomatoes, onion, mushrooms and stir fry until onion is softened, but not mushy.
- Stir in 1 1/2 cups tomato sauce base and the white wine. Simmer for 10 minutes.
- In a separate pan heat 1 Tbl olive oil and add shrimp and garlic salt and cook until shrimp are JUST cooked.
- Add shrimp to the sauce and serve over pasta.