Prep 5 mins
Cook 5 mins
These make for a super quick and delicious meal. I often make this up for lunch and eat it in a bowl without the tortilla.
- 7.39 ml butter
- 59.14 ml diced sweet onion
- 236.59 ml cooked rice
- 0.25 ml garlic powder
- 0.25 ml cumin
- 0.25 ml cilantro
- 4-6 cooked shrimp, shelled
- 29.58 ml shredded monterey jack and cheddar cheese blend
- 1-2 flour tortilla
- Heat butter over medium heat in saucepan and saute onion until translucent.
- Stir in rice and continue to cook until heated through.
- Stir in spices, adjusting to your taste. (I like subtle flavors, so you might want to add extra.).
- Cut tails off shrimp and cut shrimp into pieces. Turn pan down to low, then add shrimp and cheese, stirring until cheese is melted.
- Assemble, making either 1 large or 2 small burritos. Add whatever extras you would like, such as avocado, tomatoes, shredded lettuce or cabbage, taco sauce, refried beans, sour cream -- or just leave it plain :).
This is an excellent, easy-to-prepare recipe but needs a little tweaking. First off, cut up a REAL garlic clove or two instead of using garlic powder. Secondly, cut up 1/4 cup of scallions rather than onions. Increase the "dashes" and "pinches" of spices to something you can actually taste. Add your own accompaniments (salsa, guacamole, sour cream, chopped tomatoes, lettuce, etc.), and you'll have a wonderful end result!
What an incredible meal! I doubled the ingredients and used some hot chili sauce to top plus lettuce and sour cream. My boys loved this dish and the next day I had the leftovers for work. Thanks for sharing. We will make this again soon.