Prep 15 mins
Cook 10 mins
easy on the grill, nice change from the usual beef. this can also be cooked under the broiler.
- 1 clove garlic, peeled
- 1 dried chilies or 1 fresh chili pepper, stemmed,seeded and deveined,more to taste
- 1 inch ginger, peeled and roughly chopped
- 1 1⁄2 lbs peeled shrimp, deveined if you like
- 1⁄4 cup roughly chopped shallots, scallions or 1⁄4 cup red onion
- 1⁄4 cup roughly chopped red bell peppers or 1⁄4 cup yellow bell pepper (optional)
- salt and pepper
- 1⁄2 cup cilantro leaf, to taste
- neutral oil (like corn or canola, as needed)
- toasted bun (optional)
- lime wedges or ketchup, for serving.
- Start a charcoal or gas grill; fire should be moderately hot and rack about 4 inches from heat source.
- Combine garlic, chili, ginger and 1/3 of the shrimp in a food processor and purée, stopping machine to scrape down sides of container as necessary.
- Add remaining shrimp along with shallots, bell pepper, salt, pepper and cilantro, and pulse as many times as necessary to chop shrimp, but not too finely.
- Shape mixture into 4 patties.
- Brush grill or patties lightly with oil and place them on grill.
- Cook undisturbed until a dark crust appears on bottom and they release fairly easily with a spatula, about 5 minutes.
- Turn and cook an additional 3 to 4 minutes on the other side.
- Serve on buns or not, as you like, with ketchup or lime juice as a condiment.
Yep, these are excellent! I had mine on an fresh organic bed of lettuces and herbs with a bit of vinaigrette dressing. My husband wanted his on a kaiser roll with lettuce and mayo. We both enjoyed these tremendously. I made the recipe as is, using green pepper and scallions as that's what I had on hand. I sprayed the grill liberally with Pam spray for grills and cook low on my gas grill, watched carefully and turned carefully. SO good! I will definitely be making these again. Thanks Chia for another great shrimp recipe!
Chia these are excellent. Fantastic as a gourmet sandwich. I served on bread with a bit of lettuce and lime juice squeezed onto the patty. These are quite filling so it would be a brilliant way of serving quite a few people with just a few prawns (shrimps).