1/1 Photo of Shrimp Bulgur Salad With Avocado Relish and Chipotle Dressing
Combining spicy and cooling ingredients for a festive main dish shrimp salad served on bulgur and ringed by avocado relish. Formalize the presentation by molding the shrimp and rice (in a rice mold or 6-oz. ramekin), then ringing with avocado relish and pouring remaining chipotle dressing as outer ring. The Avocado Relish can be made ahead and refrigerated. The Chipotle dressing makes 3 cups and can be held in the top of a double boiler over simmering water for 2 hours. (Bulgur is a nutritious, versatile wheat product with a pleasant, nut-like flavor and an extended shelf-life that allows it to be stored for long periods; it can be substituted for converted rice, although it is more nutritious.) The Avocado Relish can be prepared while the bulgur is cooking, hence the low preparation time.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
CHIPOTLE SALAD DRESSING 3 CUPS
- 59.16 ml white wine vinegar
- 59.16 ml water
- 2 small shallots or 29.58 ml white onions, diced
- 29.58 ml Dijon mustard
- 29.58 ml agave syrup or 29.58 ml agave nectar or 29.58 ml honey
- 1 egg yolk
- 3 chipotle peppers (in adobo) or 3 chipotle chiles in adobo
- 236.59 ml olive oil (not extra-virgin)
SHRIMP BULGUR SALAD (use 1/4 cup chipotle salad dressing)
- 236.59 ml lb 2 medium or # 3 coarse bulgur wheat or 236.59 ml cracked farro
- 473.18 ml water
- 1 green pepper (4 rings and rest chopped)
- 340.19 g frozen salad shrimp (thawed) or 340.19 g canned shrimp
- 236.59 ml chopped celery
- 2.46 ml salt (optional)
- 59.14 ml cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1CHIPOTLE SALAD DRESSING:.
- 2Place the first 7 ingredients in a blender and blend on high for 1 minute.
- 3With the blender running, slowly drizzle in oil and blend until emulsified.
- 4Reserve until needed, in top of double boiler over simmering water.
- 5SHRIMP BULGUR SALAD:.
- 6Combine bulgur and water; let stand until bulgur is soft--about 30 minutes. Drain and marinate in Chipotle salad dressing (or French or Catalina salad dressing). Chill.
- 7Cut 4 rings from green peppers; cut rings in half. Set aside 8 shrimp.
- 8Chop remaining green pepper and add to the chopped celery. Combine remaining shrimp, chopped green pepper and celery, cooked bulgur and shredded Cheddar cheese. Toss lightly.
- 9Pack into 4 rice molds or 6-oz ramekins, seal with plastic wrap, and refrigerate until serving.
- 10AVOCADO RELISH:.
- 11Place all ingredients in a medium mixing bowl, and carefully fold together with a rubber spatula or wooden spoon. Season, to taste, with salt and pepper.
- 12Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate until serving.
- 13FOR SERVING:.
- 14Unmold each SHRIMP BULGUR RICE rice mold or ramekin onto salad plate.
- 15Spoon 1/4 of the AVOCADO RELISH in a circle around each rice mound.
- 16Pour CHIPOTLE SALAD DRESSING as outer circle.
- 17Top each mound of SHRIMP BULGUR RICE with 2 half-circles of green bell pepper and 2 reserved shrimp.
Browse Our Top Grains Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Grains Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Shrimp Bulgur Salad With Avocado Relish and Chipotle Dressing
Serving Size: 1 (646 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 910.6
- Calories from Fat 715
- Total Fat 79.5 g
- Saturated Fat 12.5 g
- Cholesterol 184.9 mg
- Sodium 1463.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 31.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 13.8 g
- Sugars 3.3 g
- Protein 25.8 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
white wine vinegar