Recipe by KateL
Combining spicy and cooling ingredients for a festive main dish shrimp salad served on bulgur and ringed by avocado relish. Formalize the presentation by molding the shrimp and rice (in a rice mold or 6-oz. ramekin), then ringing with avocado relish and pouring remaining chipotle dressing as outer ring. The Avocado Relish can be made ahead and refrigerated. The Chipotle dressing makes 3 cups and can be held in the top of a double boiler over simmering water for 2 hours. (Bulgur is a nutritious, versatile wheat product with a pleasant, nut-like flavor and an extended shelf-life that allows it to be stored for long periods; it can be substituted for converted rice, although it is more nutritious.) The Avocado Relish can be prepared while the bulgur is cooking, hence the low preparation time.
Top Review by mersaydees
I'm giving the end result 5 stars, but with reservations! I made this as directed, except that I do not own "rice molds"; I used jumbo-sized muffin tins (I measured first, and they are indeed 6 oz. per!); this alone might explain my pic! lol! I was doubtful about the 3 cups dressing given the ingredients for it; it came really close! Probably due to the emulsification factor (i.e., lots of air gets into the dressing). This is not a "quick" recipe! Start to finish I think it took me 3 hours! It will probably only take a "good" cook 2 hours! Tip: when placing the bulgur salad in the molds - pack it down! I think this will make it bond together better! Given the time this takes to make, this is a 5-star one-dish meal that is worth the effort! Thanks, KateL! Made for Hidden Gems tag game.
CHIPOTLE SALAD DRESSING 3 CUPS
- 59.16 ml white wine vinegar
- 59.16 ml water
- 2 small shallots or 29.58 ml white onions, diced
- 29.58 ml Dijon mustard
- 29.58 ml agave syrup or 29.58 ml agave nectar or 29.58 ml honey
- 1 egg yolk
- 3 chipotle peppers (in adobo) or 3 chipotle chiles in adobo
- 236.59 ml olive oil (not extra-virgin)
SHRIMP BULGUR SALAD (use 1/4 cup chipotle salad dressing)
- 236.59 ml lb 2 medium or # 3 coarse bulgur wheat or 236.59 ml cracked farro
- 473.18 ml water
- 1 green pepper (4 rings and rest chopped)
- 340.19 g frozen salad shrimp (thawed) or 340.19 g canned shrimp
- 236.59 ml chopped celery
- 2.46 ml salt (optional)
- 59.14 ml cheddar cheese, shredded
- 3 small avocados, diced
- 1 small red onion, diced
- 340.19 g roasted red peppers, drained
- 1 lime, juice of
- 1 bunch cilantro, chopped
- 59.14 ml green onion, sliced
- salt and pepper (to taste)
Directions See How It's Made
- CHIPOTLE SALAD DRESSING:.
- Place the first 7 ingredients in a blender and blend on high for 1 minute.
- With the blender running, slowly drizzle in oil and blend until emulsified.
- Reserve until needed, in top of double boiler over simmering water.
- SHRIMP BULGUR SALAD:.
- Combine bulgur and water; let stand until bulgur is soft--about 30 minutes. Drain and marinate in Chipotle salad dressing (or French or Catalina salad dressing). Chill.
- Cut 4 rings from green peppers; cut rings in half. Set aside 8 shrimp.
- Chop remaining green pepper and add to the chopped celery. Combine remaining shrimp, chopped green pepper and celery, cooked bulgur and shredded Cheddar cheese. Toss lightly.
- Pack into 4 rice molds or 6-oz ramekins, seal with plastic wrap, and refrigerate until serving.
- AVOCADO RELISH:.
- Place all ingredients in a medium mixing bowl, and carefully fold together with a rubber spatula or wooden spoon. Season, to taste, with salt and pepper.
- Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate until serving.
- FOR SERVING:.
- Unmold each SHRIMP BULGUR RICE rice mold or ramekin onto salad plate.
- Spoon 1/4 of the AVOCADO RELISH in a circle around each rice mound.
- Pour CHIPOTLE SALAD DRESSING as outer circle.
- Top each mound of SHRIMP BULGUR RICE with 2 half-circles of green bell pepper and 2 reserved shrimp.