Prep 40 mins
Cook 0 mins
Delicious appetizers that I can't stop eating.
- 16 large shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 12 slices Italian bread or 12 slices French bread, toasted (3/4-inch thick)
- 2 large tomatoes, seeded and finely chopped
- 1⁄4 cup finely chopped fresh basil
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- salt & fresh ground pepper
- 5 cloves garlic, peeled and cut in half
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil
- In a saucepan, bring 2 quarts of water to a boil over high heat.
- Fill a big bowl halfway with ice water; set aside.
- Add the shrimp to the boiling water; cook about 4 minutes or until firm and pink.
- With a slotted spoon, transfer the shrimp to the ice water and let them cool completely.
- Drain shrimp and dry off with paper towels.
- Add the tomatoes, basil, and vinegar to the container of a food processor; pulse until tomatoes are finely chopped but not pureed.
- Add salt and pepper to taste; pulse 1-2 more times; set aside.
- Rub one side of each bread slice with the cut side of the garlic cloves.
- With a pastry brush, brush the bread with olive oil.
- Top each bread slice with 1 tablespoon tomato mixture.
- Slice each shrimp lengthwise; place shrimp on top of tomato mixture.
- Serve immediately.
I had some of my girlfriends over for a luncheon and served this. Everyone, including myself, went wild over it. I used fresh basil out of my garden and tomatoes right out of my neighbor's garden. I made the tomato mixture and cooked the shrimp ahead of time then when it was time to serve, all I had to do was assemble it. This bruschetta is the best!!!! Thank you, Nurse Di!!!
These were very pretty and was well recieved at our Fathers Day dinner....I did add shredded parmesean cheese to the tomaotes...
Top-notch! We flipped over this one. Thanks so much NurseDi.