Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
another lowcountry favorite
Make and share this Shrimp Bog recipe from Food.com.
- 1⁄2 lb sliced bacon, finely diced
- 2 medium sized onions, finely chopped
- 1 1⁄2 cups long grain rice, uncooked
- 3 1⁄4 cups chicken broth, skimmed fat
- 1 1⁄2 cups peeled and chopped tomatoes with juice
- 2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- cayenne, and
- black pepper
- 2 lbs shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1⁄4 cup freshly snipped parsley
- in large pot fry bacon over medium heat.
- drain and set aside for later.
- pour off all but 3 Tbsp of fat.
- add onions to hot bacon grease.
- cook for 3 minutes.
- add the rice, 2 1/4 c of broth, tomatoes with juice, lemon juice, worcestershire and spices. lower to simmer, cover and cook for 20 minutes.
- Stir in the bacon and the shrimp and continue cooking, uncovered, for 10 minutes, adding a little more broth if the rice seems to be drying out.
- Stir the bog with a fork, taste for seasoning, sprinkle the parsley on top, and serve immediately.
I changed the recipe for us. I used 2 cups water and 1 TBS chicken bouillon, 2 cups minute rice, and left out the tomatoes. Also added a good splash of hoy sauce and used pre-cooked shrimp. Turned out excellent. The only change I would make is to make more.