1 hr 5 mins
An elegant, creamy, white tablecloth bisque from Bonappetit.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, divided
- 1 1/2 lbs medium shrimp, peeled, deveined, shells reserved (about 45)
- 2 bay leaves, divided
- 2 carrots, peeled, chopped
- 2 celery ribs, chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1/2 cup brandy
- 1/4 cup long-grain white rice
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 3 sprigs flat leaf parsley, fresh
- 3 sprigs thyme, fresh
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper (or more)
- kosher salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
- 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1/4 cup finely chopped fresh chives
- 1Melt 1 tablespoon butter in a large heavy pot over medium-high heat. Add shrimp shells and cook, stirring frequently, until they begin to brown, about 5 minutes. Add 1 bay leaf and 8 cups water. Simmer uncovered for 25 minutes. Set a fine-mesh strainer over a large bowl. Strain, discarding solids. DO AHEAD Shrimp stock can be made 3 days ahead. Let cool slightly; chill uncovered until cold, then cover and keep chilled.
- 2Melt 1 tablespoon butter in a large heavy pot over medium heat. Add shrimp and cook, stirring occasionally, until just opaque in center, 3-4 minutes. Transfer shrimp to a plate. Add remaining 2 tablespoons butter to same pot. Add carrots, celery, and onion and cook over medium heat, stirring frequently, until very soft, about 20 minutes.
- 3Remove pot from heat; add brandy. Return pot to heat and stir until almost evaporated, 2-3 minutes. Add rice and tomato paste; stir for 1 minute. Add shrimp stock, remaining bay leaf, parsley, thyme, and ¼ teaspoons cayenne. Simmer uncovered until flavors meld and rice is soft, about 20 minutes. Season with salt and pepper. Reserve 4 shrimp for garnish and stir remaining shrimp into bisque. Remove parsley, thyme, and bay leaf.
- 4Working in batches, purée bisque in a blender until smooth. Pour through a fine-mesh strainer set over a clean pot. Discard solids in strainer. Stir in cream and reheat bisque over medium heat. Add lemon juice. Season to taste with salt, pepper, and more cayenne, if desired.
- 5Mince reserved shrimp and mix with chives in a small bowl. Place 1 heaping tablespoon shrimp mixture in the center of large, shallow soup bowls. Ladle bisque around garnish and serve.
Browse Our Top Bisques/Cream Soups Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Shrimp Bisque Elegante
Serving Size: 1 (236 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 324.7
- Calories from Fat 147
- Total Fat 16.3 g
- Saturated Fat 9.6 g
- Cholesterol 190.7 mg
- Sodium 720.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 13.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.5 g
- Sugars 2.9 g
- Protein 17.3 g
The following items or measurements are not included: