Prep 20 mins
Cook 45 mins
An elegant, creamy, white tablecloth bisque from Bonappetit.
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, divided
- 1 1⁄2 lbs medium shrimp, peeled, deveined, shells reserved (about 45)
- 2 bay leaves, divided
- 2 carrots, peeled, chopped
- 2 celery ribs, chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup brandy
- 1⁄4 cup long-grain white rice
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 3 sprigs flat leaf parsley, fresh
- 3 sprigs thyme, fresh
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne pepper (or more)
- kosher salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 1⁄2 cup heavy whipping cream
- 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1⁄4 cup finely chopped fresh chives
- Melt 1 tablespoon butter in a large heavy pot over medium-high heat. Add shrimp shells and cook, stirring frequently, until they begin to brown, about 5 minutes. Add 1 bay leaf and 8 cups water. Simmer uncovered for 25 minutes. Set a fine-mesh strainer over a large bowl. Strain, discarding solids. DO AHEAD Shrimp stock can be made 3 days ahead. Let cool slightly; chill uncovered until cold, then cover and keep chilled.
- Melt 1 tablespoon butter in a large heavy pot over medium heat. Add shrimp and cook, stirring occasionally, until just opaque in center, 3-4 minutes. Transfer shrimp to a plate. Add remaining 2 tablespoons butter to same pot. Add carrots, celery, and onion and cook over medium heat, stirring frequently, until very soft, about 20 minutes.
- Remove pot from heat; add brandy. Return pot to heat and stir until almost evaporated, 2-3 minutes. Add rice and tomato paste; stir for 1 minute. Add shrimp stock, remaining bay leaf, parsley, thyme, and ¼ teaspoons cayenne. Simmer uncovered until flavors meld and rice is soft, about 20 minutes. Season with salt and pepper. Reserve 4 shrimp for garnish and stir remaining shrimp into bisque. Remove parsley, thyme, and bay leaf.
- Working in batches, purée bisque in a blender until smooth. Pour through a fine-mesh strainer set over a clean pot. Discard solids in strainer. Stir in cream and reheat bisque over medium heat. Add lemon juice. Season to taste with salt, pepper, and more cayenne, if desired.
- Mince reserved shrimp and mix with chives in a small bowl. Place 1 heaping tablespoon shrimp mixture in the center of large, shallow soup bowls. Ladle bisque around garnish and serve.