Cristina Barry's Note:
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 lb large shrimp, peeled and deveined, shells reserved
- 4 cups seafood stock
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 cups chopped leeks, white and light green parts (3 leeks)
- 1 tablespoon chopped garlic (3 cloves)
- 1 pinch cayenne pepper
- 1/4 cup cognac or 1/4 cup brandy
- 1/4 cup dry sherry
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 cups half-and-half
- 1/3 cup tomato paste
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1Place the shrimp shells and seafood stock in a saucepan and simmer for 15 minutes.
- 2Strain and reserve the stock.
- 3Add enough water to make 3 3/4 cups.
- 4Meanwhile, heat the olive oil in a large pot or Dutch oven.
- 5Add the leeks and cook them for 10 minutes over medium-low heat, or until the leeks are tender but not browned.
- 6Add the garlic and cook 1 more minute.
- 7Add the cayenne pepper and shrimp and cook over medium to low heat for 3 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- 8Add the Cognac and cook for 1 minute, then the sherry and cook for 3 minutes longer.
- 9Transfer the shrimp and leeks to a food processor fitted with a steel blade and process until coarsely pureed.
- 10In the same pot, melt the butter.
- 11Add the flour and cook over medium-low heat for 1 minute, stirring with a wooden spoon.
- 12Add the half-and-half and cook, stirring with a whisk, until thickened, about 3 minutes.
- 13Stir in the pureed shrimp, the stock, tomato paste, salt, and pepper and heat gently until hot but not boiling.
- 14Season, to taste, and serve hot.
Browse Our Top Bisques/Cream Soups Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Bisques/Cream Soups Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Shrimp Bisque - Barefoot Contessa - Ina Garten
Serving Size: 1 (403 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 609.3
- Calories from Fat 340
- Total Fat 37.8 g
- Saturated Fat 17.7 g
- Cholesterol 248.1 mg
- Sodium 1277.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 25.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.1 g
- Sugars 5.2 g
- Protein 29.4 g
The following items or measurements are not included: