Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
This is a delightful recipe I thought I would share with you! Cooking time just depends on how long it takes to cook your shrimp and make it come to a boil... so please just follow directions and pay less attention to cook time.
- 1⁄2 cup butter, divided
- 1 lb medium shrimp, peeled,deveined and chopped
- 1⁄2 cup chopped onion
- 1⁄2 cup chopped celery
- 1⁄2 cup all-purpose flour
- 3 cups water
- 1 tablespoon ketchup
- 1 chicken bouillon
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 tablespoon seasoning salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 (12 ounce) can evaporated milk
- 2 tablespoons dry white wine or 2 tablespoons water
- To start, melt 2 tablespoons butter in a medium saucepan over medium heat.
- Add shrimp, onion and celery and cook, stirring occasionally, until shrimp turn pink.
- Remove from saucepan; set aside.
- Next, melt remaining butter in same saucepan over medium heat.
- Stir in flour.
- Gradually stir in water, ketchup, bouillon, bay leaf, seasoned salt and cayenne pepper.
- Boil, stirring occasionally; reduce heat to low.
- Cook, stirring occasionally, for 5 minutes.
- Add shrimp mixture; cook, stirring occasionally, for 2 minutes.
- Discard bay leaf.
- Stir in evaporated milk and wine.
- Heat through, but PLEASE-- do not boil.
Made this for my DH, DS, and DD--the baby is still to young to appreciate this! DH told me that I outdid myself on the bisque and it was outstanding. I followed the recipe almost as is...sauteed the celery and onion for a few mintues before adding the shrimp. The only change would be to add a little black pepper next time. Excellent soup and EASY recipe!
Hubby took one sip, confirmed that it was from RecipeZaar and said "6 Stars". It is seriously good. Will cook the veggies till tender before adding the Shrimp. Used Paprika instead of Cayenne. We are thinking of using fish and baby clams as well. Yummy!
I must say this is very rich and thick. Rib sticking! First I subbed the water & bouillon for chicken broth. Used Old Bay instead of the salt seasoning. Did add more ketchup for a more salmon or coral color. Next time I will saute the celery and onions first then add the shrimp. I did use a hand blender so it would be more creamy(a Bisque) as before blending it was a bit to crisp or should I say chunky. Don`t get me wrong this is quite rich and wonderful. Thanks!