Prep 15 mins
Cook 5 mins
This recipe adds a chilli kick to juicy shrimp and makes an ideal snack to hand around with drinks.
- 8 ounces shrimp, deveined and chopped
- 1 1⁄2 inches gingerroot, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 red chile, seeds removed and chopped
- 2 ounces cilantro, chopped
- 1 scallion, chopped
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- 1 tablespoon rice wine
- 1 tablespoon light soy sauce
- 1 pinch salt
- vegetable oil, to deep fry
- 1⁄2 lime, juice of
- Tip the shrimp, ginger, garlic, chili, cilantro, scallion and cornstarch into a food processor - and blend until well mixed. Add the egg, sesame oil, rice wine, soy sauce and salt - blitz once more to combine all the ingredients.
- Heat the vegetable oil in a wok over a medium heat. Drop teaspoons of the mixture into the hot oil and deep fry, turning over when golden on one side.
- Lift the balls out with a slotted spoon when golden brown - they should take about 2 minutes on each side. Drain on absorbent kitchen paper
- Squeeze lime juice over them before serving and serve straight away with a shop-bought chilli sauce.