Prep 10 mins
Cook 15 mins
From "Classic Greek Cooking" by Daphne Metaxas.
Make and share this Shrimp Baked With Feta, Ouzo and Cognac recipe from Food.com.
- 28 ounces canned tomatoes
- 6 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove, finely minced
- 1⁄4 teaspoon sugar
- salt and pepper
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 lbs deveined shrimp
- 3 tablespoons ouzo
- 3 tablespoons metaxa cognac
- 1⁄4 lb feta cheese
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- Pour tomatoes into mixing bowl.
- Squeeze into small pieces.
- Heat 4 tablespoons oil in heavy saucepan.
- Lightly saute onion and garlic.
- Add tomatoes, sugar, salt and pepper.
- Cook, uncovered, over medium heat until sauce is thickened.
- Heat butter and 2 tablespoons oil in large, heavy skillet.
- Saute shrimp over medium-high heat until pink.
- Add ouzo and cognac.
- Flame shrimp.
- Place in casserole or individual ramekins.
- Cover with the tomato sauce.
- Sprinkle with crumbled feta and parsley. (This much of preparation can be done ahead of time.)
- Bake in 425F oven 10 minutes or until well-heated and feta has melted.
- Serve with crusty bread and a salad.
- Freezes well. Defrost when ready to use. Bake, covered, at 400F 10-15 minutes.
I debated on making this because it meant a trip to the liquor store, but I thought waht the heck. Even though we don't drink, both of these "boozes" were good to have on hand for cooking. So glad I came to that decision. This dish is excellent! Great flavors and really very easy. I halved it for the two of us and there is still enough for lunch. Will be making this again. Made for ZWT 9.
This was so easy to make in individual ramekins. It looked great and the flavor combination was a real winner. This is a 5 star dish! I served it with naan bread and a salad for a perfect meal.