Recipe by lazyme
From "Classic Greek Cooking" by Daphne Metaxas.
Top Review by Outta Here
I debated on making this because it meant a trip to the liquor store, but I thought waht the heck. Even though we don't drink, both of these "boozes" were good to have on hand for cooking. So glad I came to that decision. This dish is excellent! Great flavors and really very easy. I halved it for the two of us and there is still enough for lunch. Will be making this again. Made for ZWT 9.
- 28 ounces canned tomatoes
- 6 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove, finely minced
- 1⁄4 teaspoon sugar
- salt and pepper
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 lbs deveined shrimp
- 3 tablespoons ouzo
- 3 tablespoons metaxa cognac
- 1⁄4 lb feta cheese
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
Directions See How It's Made
- Pour tomatoes into mixing bowl.
- Squeeze into small pieces.
- Heat 4 tablespoons oil in heavy saucepan.
- Lightly saute onion and garlic.
- Add tomatoes, sugar, salt and pepper.
- Cook, uncovered, over medium heat until sauce is thickened.
- Heat butter and 2 tablespoons oil in large, heavy skillet.
- Saute shrimp over medium-high heat until pink.
- Add ouzo and cognac.
- Flame shrimp.
- Place in casserole or individual ramekins.
- Cover with the tomato sauce.
- Sprinkle with crumbled feta and parsley. (This much of preparation can be done ahead of time.)
- Bake in 425F oven 10 minutes or until well-heated and feta has melted.
- Serve with crusty bread and a salad.
- Freezes well. Defrost when ready to use. Bake, covered, at 400F 10-15 minutes.