Recipe by michaeljwatz
Ready, Set, Cook! Hidden Valley Contest Entry. Golden brown lacy shrimp and bacon cakes spiked with southern spices and fresh basil. Accompanined with Hidden Valley Original ranch Dressing. Perfect for a light lunch or an appetizer course.
- 2 ounces bacon, finely diced
- 3⁄4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1⁄4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cumin
- 1⁄8 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 tablespoon shallot, minced
- 2 tablespoons red onions, small diced
- 2 tablespoons yellow peppers, small diced
- 2 tablespoons basil, thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon chives, sliced
- 2 teaspoons lemon zest
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 6 ounces cooked shrimp, coarsely chopped
- 1⁄2 cup vegetable oil
- 4 lemon wedges
- 4 basil sprigs
- 1 cup Hidden Valley® Original Ranch® Dressing
Directions See How It's Made
- 1. In a heated skillet using medium heat cook the bacon until crisp. Remove the bacon from the skillet using a slotted spoon; allow the bacon to drain onto absorbent paper towels.
- 2. Sift the dry ingredients and seasonings into a bowl.
- 3. In a seperate mixing bowl combine the bacon, vegetables, herbs, egg, milk and shrimp.
- 4. Slowly add the dry ingredients into the mixing bowl, stir with a wooden spoon until the batter is just combined. Take care not to over mix the batter.
- 5. Heat the vegetable oil in a large skillet over medium heat; in batches place 1/4 cup size dollops of batter into the skillet. saute for approximately 2 minutes or until the bottom side of the griddle cakes are golden in color. Gently turn the griddle cakes over using a spatula, cooking the second side for an additional 2 minutes or until the cakes are fully cooked.
- 6. Place the cakes in a single layer onto an absorbent paper lined tray reserve in a warm area. Cook any remaining batter adding additional vegetable oil if necessary.
- 7. In the center of a decorative serving platter arrange the griddle cakes, garnish the platter with lemon wedges and sprigs of basil. Place the Hidden Vally Original Ranch Dressing into a decorative serving bowl to accompany the cakes.