Prep 15 mins
Cook 10 mins
Since I don't care for crab I came up with this to take the place of shrimp and crab gratins.
- 3⁄4 lb cooked medium shrimp
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons onions, chopped
- 1⁄4 cup flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1 dash pepper
- 1 1⁄2 cups milk
- 2 dashes hot sauce
- 1 cup grated cheddar cheese
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1⁄4 cup dry breadcrumbs
- Remove shells and tails from shrimp.
- Cook onion in butter until tender; stir in flour and seasonings.
- Add milk gradually and cook until thick, stirring constantly.
- Add 3/4 cup cheese and heat until melted.
- Stir in shrimp and mix well.
- Pour into 4 to 6 individual well-greased ramekins.
- Combine melted butter, bread crumbs and remaining 1/4 cup of cheese; sprinkle over top of each ramekin.
- Bake in a 400 degree oven for 10-12 minutes or until bubbly and brown.
This was a lovely shrimp dish. We really enjoyed the flavors of the sauce with the succulent shrimp. The shrimp were perfectly cooked, plump and juicy while the sauce was smooth and velvety. Thank you for sharing a recipe that I will make again and again. Made for Fall Pac/12
VERY GOOD! Made as written, except I added one pound raw shrimp to the cheese sauce and immediately poured the mixture into my casserole dish, topped with the bread crumbs and cheese and baked at 400F for 15 minutes. I did not want to risk overcooking the shrimp! I loved the crunch of the bread crumbs on top! My sauce was a little thick, so next time I'll either reduce the flour a tad, or make it with 1 3/4 cups milk. Made for my adopted baby, Spring PAC 2012.