Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 20 mins
Cook 0 mins
An elegant aspic is something no well-dressed buffet would be without. This recipe is easily made the day before an event. From the Western chapter of the United States Regional Cookbook, Culinary Institute of Chicago, 1947. Chilling time not included in preparation time.
- 1 tablespoon plain gelatin
- 4 tablespoons cold water
- 1 lemon, juice of
- 3⁄4 cup mayonnaise (use a good quality, such as Hellmans)
- 1 1⁄2 cups cooked shrimp, shelled
- 12 stuffed olives, sliced
- 3⁄4 cup celery, finely diced
- salt, to taste
- 1 canned pimiento, minced
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons onions, finely minced
- 2 eggs, hard cooked, peeled and chopped
- Soften gelatin in cold water for five minutes, then heat to melt completely.
- Add lemon juice and cool.
- Before it congeals, add mayonnaise, salt to taste and mix well.
- Add remaining ingredients, mix thoroughly but lightly to preserve the shape of the shrimps.
- Lightly spray mold with cooking spray (or lightly oil with vegetable oil) and transfer mixture to mold.
- Chill until firm.
- Unmold onto salad greens.
- Serve with additional mayonnaise.