Prep 15 mins
Cook 15 mins
Delicious low fat,colourfull, crisp flavoured pasta, from the local newspaper.
- 3 cups cut fresh asparagus, cut in 1 1/2 inch lengths
- 1 1⁄2 cups onions, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, smashed
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 12 ounces raw medium-sized shrimp, peeled & deveined (about 30)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried oregano leaves, rubbed
- 1⁄8 teaspoon dried red pepper flakes, more if you wish
- 1⁄2 cup orange juice
- 2 -3 teaspoons lemons, zest of
- 2 (14 ounce) cans navy beans or 2 (14 ounce) cans great northern beans (or your favourite beans)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 12 ounces dry spinach fettuccine
- 1 lemon, cut in wedges,for garnish and to squeeze over finished dish (optional)
- Cook spinach fettuccine according to instructions on package.
- Saute asparagus, onion and garlic in oil in a large non stick frypan until tender crisp, about 5 minutes.
- Stir in shrimp, oregano and red pepper flakes; saute until shrimp is pink, about 5 minutes, do not over cook.
- Stir in orange juice and lemon rind.
- Coarsly mash about 1/4 of the beans; stir beans into skillet and cook over medium heat until hot, 3 to 5 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Stir in salt.
- Serve over spinach fettuccine, with lemon wedges on the side.
Mmmmm...very, very tasty. I added mushrooms and spinach and topped the pasta with Parmesan cheese. I didn't have any fettuccine so I used plain spaghetti instead. I will definitely make this again! Thanks for posting!
This was a great meal! I added some mushrooms to saute with the asparagus, omitted the citrus, and served over rice. It was scrumptious!
This pasta dish may be low in fat, but is still very hearty. I didn't have spinach fettuccine on hand, and instead used regular fettuccine. My hubby isn't incredibly fond of citrus, so I subbed chicken broth for the orange juice. I upped the garlic and red pepper flakes in order to add flavor omitted by the lack of OJ. The beans cook down to make a light sauce that works well with the asparagus and shrimp. I did squeeze lemon juice over my serving; Hubby topped his with freshly grated Parmesan cheese. Thanks for another great meal.