Prep 25 mins
Cook 10 mins
If like me arborio rice is unavailable to you, this a tasty risotto look-alike. Also, unlike traditional risotto, it does not require half an hour of constant stirring, and does not include some of the traditional ingredients such as peas.
- 3 cups rice, mix from a box prepare as instructed on box (I typically choose Near East's rice pilaf)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1⁄2 sweet onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1⁄2 lb asparagus, tough roots discarded, cut into 1 inch pieces
- 1 lb shrimp, uncooked, shelled, and cut into bite size pieces
- 1⁄4 cup chicken broth
- 2 teaspoons dried dill
- 2 teaspoons basil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄3 cup feta
- In large saute pan, heat oil over medium high heat. Add onion and garlic, saute for about 2 minutes, until onions are translucent.
- Add tougher asparagus pieces, continue to saute for about 1 minute. Add remaining asparagus and continue to saute for another minute.
- Add shrimp, saute for 1 minute.
- Add chicken broth, continue stirring. Cook until shrimp turn completely pink.
- Add all spices, stir to coat.
- Add prepared rice mix and feta. Stir to completely incorporate rice, feta, and shrimp/asparagus mixture.