Recipe by Greeny4444
I got this in my e-mail from Health magazine. Shrimp is low in saturated fat and low in calories. Additionally, they are high in vitamin B12 and vitamin D. Barley is high in fiber, making this dish nutrient-rich and heart-healthy.
- 3 1⁄2 cups reduced-sodium fat-free chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 cups zucchini, chopped
- 2 cups onions, chopped
- 1 cup pearl barley
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 lb medium shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1⁄2 cup fresh parmesan cheese, grated
- 1 teaspoon butter
- 1⁄8 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Bring broth to a simmer in a medium saucepan; keep warm.
- Heat oil in a large non-stick skillet over medium-high heat. Add zucchini and onion; sauté 5 minutes or until tender, stirring frequently.
- Add barley; cook 1 minute, stirring constantly.
- Stir in 1 cup broth; cook 5 minutes or until liquid is nearly absorbed, stirring frequently.
- Stir in 1/2 cup broth and salt.
- Add remaining broth, 1/2 cup at a time, stirring frequently until each portion of broth is absorbed before adding the next (about 25 minutes).
- Add shrimp; cook 4 minutes.
- Stir in cheese, butter, and pepper.