Prep 20 mins
Cook 30 mins
Paula Deen recipe I plan on trying!!
- 226.79 g package wild rice
- 453.59 g medium shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 29.58 ml butter
- 1 green bell pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1 onion, chopped
- 283.49 g can condensed cream of mushroom soup
- 473.18 ml grated sharp cheddar cheese
- salt and pepper
- Cook the rice according to package directions minus 1/4 cup water. Drain and cool.
- Bring 2 cups water and 1/2 tablespoon salt to a boil in a medium saucepan and cook the shrimp for 1 minute. Drain immediately and set aside.
- Heat the butter in saucepan and saute the pepper and onion until soft, about 5 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F.
- In a large bowl, combine the rice, soup, 1 1/2 cups of cheese, shrimp and vegetables. Add salt and pepper, to taste. Mix well.
- Spray a 9-inch square aluminum cake pan or an 11 by 7-inch glass casserole dish with vegetable spray.
- Place the mixture in the pan and top with remaining 1/2 cup cheese.
- Bake for 30 minutes, until bubbly.
We had this for dinner tonight and DH husband really liked it, more than I did. Next time I will try using cream of shrimp soup instead of cream of mushroom. Thanks for posting, it made us a nice dinner.
I was really looking forward to this one, and it just really failed to light my fire :-( The recipe reads like something I'd ordinarily like very much, but this didn't do it for me tonight. Sorry! I pretty much followed this word-for-word, too! Seems "wrong" somehow to put shrimp in with cheese & cream of shroom soup. Didn't seem odd when I was looking at the recipe, but on the plate...ugh. And I really WANTED to like this. For all that I WOULD still classify this as "comfort food" as it has a home-y quality that feels like "home." *Made for ZWT 3 Spanish Region*