Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
Needed something to make with shrimp and this is what I came up with. Goes well with a loaf of crusty Italian bread.
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large sweet onion, chopped (Vidalia or Spanish work well)
- 1 1⁄2 cups red bell peppers, chopped
- 1 1⁄2 cups mushrooms, sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 plum tomatoes, chopped
- 1⁄2 teaspoon oregano
- 1⁄2 teaspoon basil
- 1⁄4 teaspoon chili pepper flakes
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 3⁄4 cup white wine
- 1 lb shrimp (*see note below)
- 10 green olives, pitted and chopped
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1⁄2 teaspoon lemon zest
- 3 -4 tablespoons heavy cream (double cream in UK)
- 1 lb pasta, cooked
- Heat oil in heavy skillet and brown onions and peppers for 6-8 minutes. Add mushrooms and garlic and cook for another 6-8 minutes.
- Stir in tomatoes, oregano, basil and pepper flakes. Season with salt and pepper. Continue cooking until veggies are tender, about 5-10 minutes.
- *NOTE: Follow directions according to type of shrimp used. In either case, shrimp should be peeled and deveined.
- Uncooked - Add wine, shrimp, olives, lemon juice and zest. Cook until shrimp has turned pink and opaque, about 3-4 minutes. Add cream and stir. Serve over hot cooked pasta.
- Cooked - Add wine and cook for 1-2 minutes. Add shrimp, olives, lemon juice and zest. Stir mixture and add cream. Stir again to heat shrimp through and serve over hot pasta.
I was able to pull the majority of of the the ingredients from the garden and pantry. Superb over fettucine. Very generous portions. Very easy to make. The lemon zest add a very special touch of flavor.
This was very tasty. Had way too much red peppers and onions for our taste. Liked the hint of heat with the chili pepper flakes. Left out the green olives because of personal preference. Thicken the sauce with a couple of tsps. of cornstarch and served over angle hair pasta for me and jasmine rice for Dave. thanks for sharing.
A delicious flavor explosion! Easy to make, great taste, beautiful presentation! Absolutely a keeper! I made it with fettucine and topped it off with a some grated parmesan. Thanks for a great meal!