Recipe by CulinaryQueen
Needed something to make with shrimp and this is what I came up with. Goes well with a loaf of crusty Italian bread.
Top Review by Mama Q
I was able to pull the majority of of the the ingredients from the garden and pantry. Superb over fettucine. Very generous portions. Very easy to make. The lemon zest add a very special touch of flavor.
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large sweet onion, chopped (Vidalia or Spanish work well)
- 1 1⁄2 cups red bell peppers, chopped
- 1 1⁄2 cups mushrooms, sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 plum tomatoes, chopped
- 1⁄2 teaspoon oregano
- 1⁄2 teaspoon basil
- 1⁄4 teaspoon chili pepper flakes
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 3⁄4 cup white wine
- 1 lb shrimp (*see note below)
- 10 green olives, pitted and chopped
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1⁄2 teaspoon lemon zest
- 3 -4 tablespoons heavy cream (double cream in UK)
- 1 lb pasta, cooked
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat oil in heavy skillet and brown onions and peppers for 6-8 minutes. Add mushrooms and garlic and cook for another 6-8 minutes.
- Stir in tomatoes, oregano, basil and pepper flakes. Season with salt and pepper. Continue cooking until veggies are tender, about 5-10 minutes.
- *NOTE: Follow directions according to type of shrimp used. In either case, shrimp should be peeled and deveined.
- Uncooked - Add wine, shrimp, olives, lemon juice and zest. Cook until shrimp has turned pink and opaque, about 3-4 minutes. Add cream and stir. Serve over hot cooked pasta.
- Cooked - Add wine and cook for 1-2 minutes. Add shrimp, olives, lemon juice and zest. Stir mixture and add cream. Stir again to heat shrimp through and serve over hot pasta.