Recipe by Darkhunter
Another of my sister's recipes. She has carried this one around since 1979 from an issue of McCalls. This is really good. No gumbo is complete without okra! Enjoy!
- 2 tablespoons salad oil
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 cup chopped green pepper
- 1⁄2 cup chopped celery
- 1 garlic clove, pressed
- 1 bay leaf, crumbled
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 (28 ounce) can diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 (10 1/2 ounce) can chicken broth
- 1⁄2 lb shrimp, in the shell
- 1 (10 ounce) package frozen okra, thawed
- 2 teaspoons gumbo file powder (optional)
- 3 -4 cups fluffy cooked rice
- chopped parsley
Directions See How It's Made
- In hot oil in 6-qt Dutch oven, saute onion, green pepper, celery and garlic, stirring frequently, over medium heat until celery is tender. Add bay leaf, 1/2 tsp salt, the pepper, tomatoes and chicken broth.
- Bring to boiling, stirring frequently. Simmer, covered, 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, shell and devein shrimp. Cut in half legthwise.
- Cut okra into 1/2" slices. Add okra to tomato mixture. Simmer, covered, 15 minutes. Add shrimp; cook, covered, 3 minutes, or until tender. Stir in file.
- For each serving, spoon gumbo over 1/2 cup rice in each warm serving bowl. Sprinkle with parsley.