Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr
Another of my sister's recipes. She has carried this one around since 1979 from an issue of McCalls. This is really good. No gumbo is complete without okra! Enjoy!
- 2 tablespoons salad oil
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 cup chopped green pepper
- 1⁄2 cup chopped celery
- 1 garlic clove, pressed
- 1 bay leaf, crumbled
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 (28 ounce) can diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 (10 1/2 ounce) can chicken broth
- 1⁄2 lb shrimp, in the shell
- 1 (10 ounce) package frozen okra, thawed
- 2 teaspoons gumbo file powder (optional)
- 3 -4 cups fluffy cooked rice
- chopped parsley
- In hot oil in 6-qt Dutch oven, saute onion, green pepper, celery and garlic, stirring frequently, over medium heat until celery is tender. Add bay leaf, 1/2 tsp salt, the pepper, tomatoes and chicken broth.
- Bring to boiling, stirring frequently. Simmer, covered, 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, shell and devein shrimp. Cut in half legthwise.
- Cut okra into 1/2" slices. Add okra to tomato mixture. Simmer, covered, 15 minutes. Add shrimp; cook, covered, 3 minutes, or until tender. Stir in file.
- For each serving, spoon gumbo over 1/2 cup rice in each warm serving bowl. Sprinkle with parsley.