“Feel free to try other vegetables not listed here, or for a shortcut, choose just two or three from the list. Sparkling water helps lighten the batter, and a mild vinegar, such as cider or rice wine, makes a good dipping sauce. For a delicious vegetarian entrée, leave out the shrimp.” This recipe is from The Good Cook by Anne Willan the founder of La Varenne Cooking School and I chose for the Cookbook Swap Cookbook! It sounds so delicious and I can’t wait to make it.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 medium sweet potato, peeled and cut in 3/8 inch slices
- 1 medium zucchini, cut in 3/8 inch slices
- 1 small head of broccoli, cut in florets
- 4 1/2 ounces snow peas, trimmed
- 1 red bell pepper, cored, seeded, and cut in strips
- 6 small scallions, trimmed, with green tops
- 1 1/2 lbs large shrimp, peeled and deveined, tails left on
- oil (for deep frying)
- 1Mix the tempura batter:.
- 2Sift the flour, cornstarch, and salt into a large bowl and set it over a bowl of ice water.
- 3Slowly whisk in the sparkling water, and then stir in the sesame seeds.
- 4Leave the batter for 15 to 30 minutes so the flour starches expand and thicken slightly.
- 5After standing, it should be the consistency of thin pancake batter. If it is too thick, stir in more sparkling water.
- 6To finish:.
- 7Heat a 3/4 inch layer of oil to 375 degrees in a large sauté pan or skillet.
- 8Coat and fry the vegetables and shrimp until golden, working in batches.
- 9Allow 2 to 3 minutes got shrimp; for vegetables the timing will vary from 3 to 5 minutes, depending on the type.
- 10Transfer the cooked shrimp and vegetables to a rack lined with paper towels and keep them warm in a low oven with the door open while you fry the rest.
- 11To serve:.
- 12Pile the fritters loosely on a large platter, or arrange a sampling on individual plates.
- 13Be sure not to pile them too closely together or they will steam and lose their crispness.
- 14Getting ahead:.
- 15Prepare the batter, vegetables, and shrimp up to 4 hours in advance, storing them covered in the refrigerator.
- 16Fry everything at the last moment.
Browse Our Top < 60 Mins Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All < 60 Mins Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Shrimp and Vegetable Clouds
Serving Size: 1 (399 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 477.2
- Calories from Fat 52
- Total Fat 5.8 g
- Saturated Fat 0.9 g
- Cholesterol 172.8 mg
- Sodium 610.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 73.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 6.6 g
- Sugars 5.1 g
- Protein 32.3 g