Recipe by BigHeart
This recipe has been a long-time favorite, which does take a little extra effort, but is impressive when served to company. I serve it with wild rice. I have also substituted cooked chicken breast chunks for the shrimp.
- 1 1⁄2 lbs shrimp, steamed and cleaned
- 1 lb fresh asparagus, lightly steamed
- 1 (14 ounce) can artichoke hearts, drained and quartered
- 1⁄4 lb fresh mushrooms, sliced or 1 (4 ounce) can mushrooms, drained
- 6 tablespoons butter, divided
- 4 1⁄2 tablespoons flour
- 3⁄4 cup whipping cream
- 3⁄4 cup milk
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1⁄4 cup dry sherry (not cooking sherry)
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1⁄4 cup grated parmesan cheese
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat over to 375 degrees.
- Using a 2-quart casserole, layer first the asparagus, then artichokes and finally the shrimp.
- Saute the mushrooms in 2 tablespoons of butter and arrange over the shrimp.
- Melt the remaining 4 tablespoons of butter in a saucepan over medium heat, stirring in the flour, and cook for 2 minutes.
- Slowly add the whipping cream and milk, stirring constantly.
- When the sauce is thick and smooth, add the salt and peppers.
- Stir in the Worcestershire and sherry.
- Pour the sauce over the casserole and sprinkle with the parmesan cheese.
- Bake for 20 minutes.