Prep 10 mins
Cook 10 mins
Ok, folding over an omelet, French-style, isn't easy and for the longest time, I wouldn't try it. But, really, I found it's pretty simple once you try a few times. Now, I do it daily. Also, don't be fooled by restaurants who offer 3-egg omelets: in the average, 9" pan, that many eggs will result in an omelet too thick to easily fold over the ingredients. Stick with two eggs, and you'll fare better.
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon garlic (minced)
- 2 large eggs
- 2 teaspoons skim milk
- 1⁄8 teaspoon thyme (dried)
- salt and black pepper
- 1⁄2 ounce feta cheese
- 1 ounce shrimp (pre-cooked or canned)
- 1⁄2 ounce spinach (baby leaves, no stems, finely chopped or chiffonade)
- Using a non-stick, 9" skillet or omelet pan, heat the oil over medium-low heat and add the minced garlic.
- In a bowl, whisk together the eggs, skim milk, and thyme. Season the eggs with a pinch of salt and a few grinds of fresh, black pepper.
- When the garlic is just barely browning on the edges, pour the egg mixture into the skillet and, tilting it slightly or stirring, slosh it around so it covers all the garlic and the bottom of the pan.
- Keep an eye on the omelet as the eggs stiffen. When the bottom of the eggs are fairly solid but there is still a good amount of liquid eggs on top, sprinkle the feta cheese over the eggs.
- Continue cooking for about 2-3 more minutes and , then, make a thin line of shrimp about one-third of the way across the eggs. On top of that, sprinkle the finely chopped spinach in a row (reserving a pinch for garnish).
- With a slender spatula (or turner), loosen the edges of the eggs from the skillet. Then, slide the spatula under the third of the omelet that has the shrimp and spinach on it. Fold the eggs over the ingredients towards the center of the omelet and hold, there, for just a few moments.
- Over the serving plate, slide the omelet out -unfolded side first- and roll the already folded section over the flatter portion. You may have to do this several times on subsequent attempts to get the hang of it.
- Sprinkle the top of the omelet with the reserved spinach and serve.