Prep 30 mins
Cook 35 mins
I got this from an old Reader's Digest cookbook. Haven't made it in years, but I just dug all my books out of the garage after moving, and remembered how great this one is!
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 8 ounces medium shrimp, shelled, deveined and cut into 1/2 inch pieces
- 8 ounces bay scallops or 8 ounces sea scallops, cut into 1/2 inch pieces
- 1⁄4 cup minced parsley
- 1 large yellow onion, finely chopped
- 1 1⁄2 cups long grain white rice
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup water
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 stalks celery, coarsely chopped
- 2 medium carrots, peeled and coarsely chopped
- 1 large tomatoes, cored, peeled and chopped
- 8 ounces asparagus spears
- 1⁄2 cup grated parmesan cheese
- Heat butter and oil in 6 quart pot on medium heat.
- Add garlic and sauté for 1 minute.
- Add shrimp, scallops, and parsley, and sauté, stirring often, for 3 minutes.
- Transfer mixture to plate with slotted spoon.
- In the drippings, sauté the onion until limp- about 5 minutes.
- Stir in rice, broth, water, salt, and 1/8 tsp of the pepper.
- Bring to a simmer, reduce heat to low, cover and cook 10 minutes.
- Add celery, carrots and tomato, cover and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Lay asparagus on top, cover and simmer 5 minutes longer or until asparagus and rice are tender.
- Stir in seafood mixture and heat to serving temperature.
- Stir in cheese and remaining pepper.
This is an amazing recipe! I made as directed, but used arborio rice and slowly stirred the broth into it (how traditional risotto is made). I also added green onions and omitted celery. Thanks for the fantastic recipe!
I thought this was good - I used all shrimp. . had no asparagus or celery. Added bacon to the onion for extra flavor. Also used arborio rice instead or long grain. I don't think it would be as good with long grain rice. Next time I may try to use a more flavorful oil instead of regular olive oil.
Delicious!! This went together quickly and easily and had lots of flavor. I made this as written except that I cut the asparagus into 1" pieces and increased both the salt and pepper. My family really enjoyed this and I will definitely be making it again. Thank you for sharing. This was made for PAC spring 2007.