Recipe by Outta Here
A seafood chowder with a tropical accent. Scotch Bonnet chiles are very hot, so use serrano or jalapeno if you like a milder taste. Also use only UNSWEETENED coconut milk, found in Asian sections of the grocery store. WARNING: Use latex gloves to seed chiles, since seeds contain volatile oils, which can get on fingers, and then in eyes or on lips and burn like H***! :)
Top Review by twissis
Made for the Goddesses of ZWT-9, I halved this recipe to serve 4 as a starter course for dinner guests last night & see this lightly-creamed by coconut milk, tasty & colorful soup is the ideal vehicle for the bounty of seafood in Iceland. I used Icelandic baby shrimp plus scallops & added already-cooked lake trout fillets at the last moment just to warm them. I used lemon pepper & kept the curry level at the lower end of the range allowed for the sake of my DH who can be a bit of a purist on occasion. DH & our guests were hovering over me impatiently as I minded the finishing touches, so a pic was out of the question. Thx for sharing this recipe w/us.
- 2 lbs shrimp
- 1 lb large scallop (see note)
- 1⁄2 scotch bonnet pepper, seeded and minced
- 4 shallots, peeled and minced
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled and minced
- 3 scallions, minced
- 1 inch fresh ginger, peeled and minced
- 1 red bell pepper, seeded and diced
- 1 green bell pepper, seeded and diced
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 2 -3 teaspoons curry powder
- 6 cups fish stock or 6 cups bottled clam broth
- 2 cups coconut milk
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 1⁄2 cup fresh cilantro, chopped (for garnish)
Directions See How It's Made
- Peel and devein the shrimp and cut into 1 inch pieces.
- Cut large scallops in quarters, medium size ones in half, so that all are the same size. NOTE: Bay scallops (the small ones) may be used if sea scallops not available. No need to cut, since they are usually about the same size.
- Melt the butter in a large saucepan. Cook chile, shallots, garlic, scallions, ginger and bell peppers over medium heat for 3 to 4 minutes, or until soft but not browned.
- Add the curry powder and cook for 1 minute until fragrant.
- Add the fish stock ( or clam broth) and coconut milk and gently simmer for 5 minutes.
- Just before serving, add the shrimp and scallops. Gently simmer for 2 to 3 minutes until the shellfish is firm. Add salt, pepper and more curry powder to taste.
- Ladle the chowder into bowls and garnish each with chopped cilantro.