1/3 Photos of Shrimp and Scallop Chowder With Coconut Milk
A seafood chowder with a tropical accent. Scotch Bonnet chiles are very hot, so use serrano or jalapeno if you like a milder taste. Also use only UNSWEETENED coconut milk, found in Asian sections of the grocery store. WARNING: Use latex gloves to seed chiles, since seeds contain volatile oils, which can get on fingers, and then in eyes or on lips and burn like H***! :)
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 lbs shrimp
- 1 lb large scallop (see note)
- 1/2 scotch bonnet pepper, seeded and minced
- 4 shallots, peeled and minced
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled and minced
- 3 scallions, minced
- 1 inch fresh ginger, peeled and minced
- 1 red bell pepper, seeded and diced
- 1 green bell pepper, seeded and diced
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 2 -3 teaspoons curry powder
- 6 cups fish stock or 6 cups bottled clam broth
- 2 cups coconut milk
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup fresh cilantro, chopped (for garnish)
- 1Peel and devein the shrimp and cut into 1 inch pieces.
- 2Cut large scallops in quarters, medium size ones in half, so that all are the same size. NOTE: Bay scallops (the small ones) may be used if sea scallops not available. No need to cut, since they are usually about the same size.
- 3Melt the butter in a large saucepan. Cook chile, shallots, garlic, scallions, ginger and bell peppers over medium heat for 3 to 4 minutes, or until soft but not browned.
- 4Add the curry powder and cook for 1 minute until fragrant.
- 5Add the fish stock ( or clam broth) and coconut milk and gently simmer for 5 minutes.
- 6Just before serving, add the shrimp and scallops. Gently simmer for 2 to 3 minutes until the shellfish is firm. Add salt, pepper and more curry powder to taste.
- 7Ladle the chowder into bowls and garnish each with chopped cilantro.
Browse Our Top Chowders Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Shrimp and Scallop Chowder With Coconut Milk
Serving Size: 1 (457 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 526.6
- Calories from Fat 181
- Total Fat 20.1 g
- Saturated Fat 14.8 g
- Cholesterol 265.7 mg
- Sodium 1636.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 47.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.1 g
- Sugars 39.4 g
- Protein 38.3 g
The following items or measurements are not included: