Prep 20 mins
Cook 20 mins
SOOOOOOOOOOO GOOD! ;)
- 1 cup rice
- 1 teaspoon butter
- 1⁄4 lb turkey sausage, cut lengthwise and thinly sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 8 ounces fresh okra or 8 ounces frozen okra, sliced
- 2 (14 ounce) cans stewed tomatoes
- 1 dried cayenne pepper, minced
- 1⁄2 lb medium shrimp, peeled and deveined
- Cook rice according to package directions omitting salt.
- Melt butter in 4 quart pot over medium high heat.
- Add sausage; saute until it's browned, about 5 minutes.
- Add garlic and cook for 30 seconds.
- Stir in bell pepper,okra,tomatoes,cayenne and shrimp.
- Cover pot, and bring gumbo to a boil.
- Reduce heat, and simmer gumbo until shrimp is pink and cooked through, about 10 minutes.
- Serve over rice.
- Let frozen okra thaw, pieces seperated, for about 5 to 10 minutes before slicing it.