Prep 15 mins
Cook 45 mins
Sauted shrimp and vegetables combined with rice. Preparation time of 15 minutes to chop vegetables and 10-15 minutes to saute happens during the 60 minutes it takes to cook the brown rice. If you substitute white rice, your dinner can be done in 30 minutes, start to finish. Served with a green salad and crusty french bread, it makes a satisfying meal. NOTE: I have added peas, sugar snap pea pods, and mushrooms at different times. I have also left out the carrots, substituted red peppers for green and fresh tomatoes for canned. This recipe lends itself to a lot of variations.
- 1 cup brown rice
- 1 (14 ounce) can chicken broth
- 2 slices bacon, chopped
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup celery, chopped
- 1 cup onion, chopped
- 1 cup bell pepper, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 cup carrot, very thinly sliced
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can tomatoes, diced (I prefer S&W Ready-Cut tomatoes)
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 tablespoon parsley
- 1 lb raw shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- louisiana hot sauce
- Cook rice according to package directions in chicken broth and enough water to equal 2 1/2 cups liquid.
- Meanwhile, chop bacon and vegetables. Saute in a large skillet with butter.
- Add tomatoes, bay leaf, and parsley. Cover and simmer until vegetables are almost, but not quite, cooked to your liking. Add a few tablespoons water, as needed to keep everything moist.
- Wash shrimp. If they smell "fishy", soak for 5-10 minutes in salty ice-water, then rinse and drain.
- Add shrimp to skillet. Cover and cook on medium heat 3-5 minutes, depending on size of shrimp. Shrimp is done when it is no longer semi-transparent and has taken on a pinkish-orange color. Do not overcook, as this will make the shrimp shrink and become tough.
- Stir in lemon juice and cooked rice. If mixture looks too dry, add a few tablespoons of water. Season to taste with hot sauce and salt.