Recipe by mollypaul
An old Southern recipe posted in response to a recipe request. From the US Regional Cookbook, Chicago Culinary Arts Institute, 1947. Cooking time is approximate.
Top Review by hcdspot74
Well, I guess I had higher hopes for this one. The mixture was very wet and fell apart. I ended up refrigerating for a while so I could fry them. They stayed together but were very bland. Sorry.
- 1 cup uncooked rice
- 1 tablespoon butter (If subbing margarine, not tub or spread product)
- 2 eggs, slightly beaten
- 4 cups cooked shrimp, finely minced
- cracker crumb (fine bread crumbs may be substituted)
- 1 egg, beaten
- oil (for frying) or fat (for frying)
Directions See How It's Made
- Cook rice in rapidly boiling salted water until tender, about 20 minutes.
- Drain thoroughly and add butter while rice is still hot.
- Cool slightly; add shrimp and two eggs.
- Season to taste and roll into balls or cylinders.
- Dip in cracker crumbs, then into beaten egg, and again into crumbs.
- Heat oil or fat to 375F and fry until brown.