Prep 30 mins
Cook 30 mins
I LOVE shrimp. Rice too, actually. It doesn't hurt my stomach to eat either, depending on how they're prepared. BUT...this casserole, which I'm not a big fan of casseroles, is different. It's GOOD! and fancy enough for a dinner party. While it only serves 4, it's perfect for a small get-together of two couples. Serve with crusty bread and enjoy the praise you get from your guests!
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 medium celery, cut in half down the middle and and thinly sliced
- 1⁄2 large onion, chopped
- 1⁄2 medium green pepper, seeded and diced
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1⁄8 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1⁄8 teaspoon cayenne
- 1 cup rice
- 12 ounces medium shrimp, shelled and deveined
- 4 ounces clam juice or 4 ounces Clamato juice
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt (or less, depends on your tastes)
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 1⁄2 cups water
- 2 plum tomatoes, seeded and diced
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- In the dutch oven, melt the butter and add the onion, pepper, and celery. Saute 10 minutes or until the vegetables are tender.
- Add the garlic and spices and saute 1 minute more. Stir frequently to avoid the garlic burning.
- Add rice, shrimp, clam juice, salt, bay leaf, and water. Bring to a boil over high heat. Cover and bake 30 minutes or until the liquid is absorbed and the rice is tender.
- Discard the bay leaf. Serve toped with the tomatoes.