Prep 15 mins
Cook 5 mins
This is not a cloyingly sweet recipe and it uses fresh rather than tinned pineapple. As in most asian-style recipes, you spend more time prepping than actually cooking so, once you're set up, this comes together really quickly. We love fried rice all sorts of ways. This is a good version.
- 2 lbs pineapple
- 1⁄2 cup red pepper, cut into julienne
- 3 scallions, sliced thin
- 2 teaspoons minced fresh jalapeno peppers
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon anchovy paste
- 1⁄2 teaspoon turmeric
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 lb small shrimp, shelled and deveined
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 5 cups cooked steamed rice (made previous day and cold)
- 1⁄4 cup finely chopped coriander
- Peel pineapple and cut up into ½ inch pieces to measure 1 ½ cups.
- Combine pineapple, bell pepper, scallions and jalapeno.
- In a bowl, whisk together soy sauce, sugar, anchovy paste, turmeric and 1 tblsp water.
- In wok, heat 1 tblsp oil over moderate-high heat until hot but not smoking.
- Stir fry shrimp for 1 ½ minutes or until just firm and transfer to a bowl.
- Heat remaining 1 tblsp oil and stir fry garlic 5 seconds, or until golden.
- Add rice and stir-fry 30 seconds, or until rice is hot.
- Add soy mixture and fry 1 minute.
- Add pineapple mixture and shrimp.
- Stir-fry 1 minute.
- Stir in coriander.
Kate will be pleased at yet another cross-cultural triumph - A Greek cook posts an Asian recipe prepared in Iceland by a transplanted American! I used all my creative power to make this happen, Ev. W/no steam equipment as “required” for the challenge, I rigged my own for the steamed rice portion of your recipe by propping a sieve w/the raw rice over a saucepan of boiling water. I used the lid to cover the contraption & soon had my steamed rice. The rest of the prep was a snap! I left out the jalepeno, added only mushrooms & the fried rice was great! Thx for posting. (btw chefs, I used canned pineapple, but pls don’t tell Ev. Okay?)
Oh gosh Evelyn this is wonderful fried rice, all the flavors blend together wonderful, I used a can of small salad shrimp in place of fresh shrimp, and increased the fresh garlic, this is delicious, thanks for sharing!...Kitten:)