Prep 20 mins
Cook 25 mins
A Betty Crocker recipe. Good but I prefer peas from a can as I don't care for pea pods. I like to use white cooking wine. You needed use any if you don't want to. You can substitute any kind of pasta for the penne pasta.
- 3 cups uncooked penne pasta (9 oz)
- 1⁄2 cup butter or 1⁄2 cup margarine
- 2 cups sliced fresh mushrooms (5 oz)
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cups milk
- 2 tablespoons sherry wine (optional) or 2 tablespoons cooking sherry (optional) or 2 tablespoons white wine (optional)
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can chicken broth
- 3⁄4 cup shredded fonitina cheese (3 oz) or 3⁄4 cup swiss cheese (3 oz)
- 1 lb cooked peeled deveined medium shrimp, thawed if frozen
- 2 cups frozen snap peas, pods thawed and drained or 2 cups peas, from a can
- 1⁄4 cup finely shredded parmesan cheese
- 1⁄4 cup sliced almonds
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1⁄4 cup water
- Heat oven to 350. Spray rectangular baking dish, 13x9 inches,with cooking spray. Cook and drain pasta as directed on package.
- While pasta is cooking, melt butter in 3 quart saucepan over low heat. Cook mushrooms and garlic in butter, stirring occasionally, until mushrooms are tender. Add salt and pepper. Gradually stir in milk, sherry and broth.
- In a small cup add cornstarch and water until smooth. Add to milk mixture in pan. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until mixture is smooth and bubbly.
- Stir in Fontina or Swiss cheese until melted, remove from heat.
- Stir pasta, shrimp and pea pods into mushroom mixture; pour into baking dish. Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese and almonds.
- Bake uncovered 20-25 minutes or until cheese is golden brown.