1/3 Photos of Shrimp and Pasta in a Basil Cream Sauce
This is a simple yet elegant pasta dish, perfect for a romantic evening. It's rich and decadent, but you deserve it.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 14.79 ml olive oil
- 14.79 ml butter
- 59.14 ml shallot, thinly sliced (one large shallot)
- 14.79 ml garlic, minced (2-3 cloves)
- 149.68 g shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 78.07 ml grape tomatoes (2 good handfuls) or 78.07 ml cherry tomatoes (2 good handfuls)
- 14.17 g pine nuts (about a quarter of a small bag)
- 118.29 ml dry vermouth or 118.29 ml dry white wine
- 236.59 ml heavy cream
- 29.58 ml basil, sliced in a chiffinade (about 10 to 12 large leaves)
- 149.68 g pasta (I used spaghetti)
- 29.58 ml chives, chopped
- salt and pepper
- 1Start the water for the pasta. When it comes to a boil, add salt and pasta and cook until al dente.
- 2In a skillet, heat olive oil and butter. When butter stops foaming, add shallots and garlic, and a pinch of salt and black pepper, and saute until shallots are tender.
- 3Add shrimp, grape tomatoes, and pine nuts and cook until tomatoes burst.
- 4Remove everything from pan and keep warm.
- 5Return pan to heat and add vermouth. Allow to cook down for 1 minute while scraping up the brown bits from the bottom of the pan. Add the cream, and salt and pepper to taste. I used about 20 grinds of fresh ground black pepper and a healthy pinch of kosher salt. Stir well and cook until cream reduces and thickens. Stir often during this process so your cream doesn't stick to the bottom and burn.
- 6To chiffinade the basil, pile the basil leaves neatly on top of each other, then roll the whole pile into a long, tight log. Cut the log into thin slices.
- 7When sauce reaches desired thickness, add basil to cream sauce and stir well. Cook for a minute or two to let the basil infuse the cream.
- 8Return shrimp and tomato mixture to pan and heat through.
- 9Serve over your choice of pasta. Garnish with chives and parmesan cheese, if desired, and serve with crusty bread and a nice salad on the side.
Browse Our Top Spaghetti Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Spaghetti Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Shrimp and Pasta in a Basil Cream Sauce
Serving Size: 1 (405 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 2
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 979.7
- Calories from Fat 570
- Total Fat 63.4 g
- Saturated Fat 32.6 g
- Cholesterol 273.4 mg
- Sodium 535.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 69.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.2 g
- Sugars 3.6 g
- Protein 24.8 g