Recipe by Leslie in Texas
This is a favorite of ours,great with some crusty French bread and butter.Serve over freshly cooked rice if desired. From a March 1984 issue of Bon Appetit that featured Paul Prudhomme and the recipes of K-Paul's restaurant in New Orleans. Pass the Tabasco, please!
Top Review by realbirdlady
This would be good for an unexpected crowd. It looks like a lot of ingredients, but goes together easily (with some flexibility in quantities). We used less hot peppers, so that folks who wanted spicy could add their own tabasco. The texture is a little bit floury - if you had time, it would probably be better to go ahead and make a roux.
- 3 bay leaves
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons dry mustard
- 1 1⁄4 teaspoons white pepper
- 1 teaspoon ground red pepper (cayenne)
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme, crumbled
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried basil, crumbled
- 6 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 3 cups okra, sliced into 1/4-inch wide slices
- 3⁄4 cup onion, finely chopped
- 3⁄4 cup green bell pepper, finely chopped
- 1⁄2 cup celery, finely chopped
- 1⁄4 cup unsalted butter (1/2 stick)
- 2 teaspoons fresh garlic, minced
- 1⁄4 cup all-purpose flour
- 5 1⁄2 cups seafood stock
- 1⁄2 cup green onion, thinly sliced
- 3⁄4 lb medium shrimp, peeled and deveined
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine first 8 ingredients in small bowl for seasoning mixture.
- Heat 4 Tablespoons oil in 4-quart saucepan over high heat 1 minute.
- Add 2 cups okra and saute until brown, about 6 minutes.
- Stir onion, green pepper and celery into okra and cook 1 minute.
- Add butter and cook 1 minute.
- Mix in garlic and saute 1 minute.
- Stir in seasoning mixture and continue cooking over high heat 3 minutes to blend flavors, scraping bottom of pan frequently.
- Add flour and remaining 2 tablespoons oil.
- Continue cooking until flour is brown,scraping bottom of pan frequently, about 2 minutes.
- Mix in 1 1/2 cups stock, scraping up any brown bits from bottom of pan.
- Stir in remaining stock; boil 2 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Reduce heat and simmer 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Stir in remaining 1 cup okra and continue simmering for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- (Can be prepared up to 2 days ahead at this point. Cover and refrigerate.Slowly bring to a simmer before proceeding.).
- Add green onion to soup and simmer 3 minutes.
- Stir in shrimp and simmer until shrimp just turn pink, about 1 minute.
- Salt to taste and serve.