Recipe by Hey Jude
We love wilted salad at my house! I found this recipe in the Chicago Tribune. It originally said it serves 4 but I think that would be 4 side dishes. It serves the two of us as a main dish. Halved cherry tomatoes are a nice addition to the salad.
- 4 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 1⁄2 lb sliced mushrooms
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 lemon, juice of
- fresh ground black pepper
- 1 lb large shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 2 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 4 cups romaine lettuce or 4 cups bibb lettuce, torn into bite-size pieces
- 1 (8 ounce) packagesmall fresh mozzarella balls, quartered
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat 1 T. of the olive oil in a medium skillet over medium-high heat. Add garlic; cook, stirring, until garlic becomes fragrant, about 1 minute.
- Add mushrooms and 1/4 teaspoons of the salt; cook, stirring occasionally, until the mushrooms soften and begin to brown, about 5 minutes.
- Prepare a grill or broiler for high heat.
- Mix together the lemon juice and remaining 3 T. of olive oil; add remaining 1/4 teaspoons salt and pepper to taste.
- Place shrimp on skewers or on a baking pan if broiling; brush with lemon juice/oil mixture, reserving any extra. Cook shrimp until pink on both sides about 2-3 minutes.
- Add the shrimp to the mushrooms in the skillet. Add rice vinegar and remaining lemon juice mixture; heat 2 minutes.
- Pour contents of skillet over the lettuce in a large bowl; toss gently to coat lettuce. Divide among 4 (or 2 if serving as a main dish) and top each with mozzarella.