I love Chinese take-out, and frequently try different recipes to make at home. Never quite making the grade usually. I have to say I fiddled with this one and I don't think I'll be ordering any more "egg foo young" from our local chinese joint. Don't be surprised on how good this is! It's my recipe but the ideas came from a cooking website speciallizing in Asian cuisine. If you have clam juice, or seafood stock or shrimp stock use it, chicken stock will do, and water if you have none. It will make a difference on the result in the taste of your "chinese omelets'." I have yet to master the gravy part the take-out kind, but I never eat it anyway. So I didn't include one here. If you like you can make your own gravy or use a store bought variety. But I don't think you will miss it much. Your option. I'm by no means biased against gravy.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Crack all eggs into a bowl and beat until foamy. Add 1 teaspoons salt, and shrimp stock. Beat well again.
- 2Chop shrimps, mushrooms, and green onions. Place each in their own little bowls.
- 3In a 6 inch non-stick skillet heat 1 tablespoons vegetable oil until it shimmers. Add a small handful of mushrooms and green onions. Fry briefly stirring continually.
- 4Add 1/4 of egg mixture to pan on top of mushrooms, and onions. Dribble a little of the soy sauce, and salt into egg mixture now and sprinkle a small handful of shrimps, then bean sprouts on top.
- 5Do not stir. Let cook until egg starts to brown nicley along edges of omlette.
- 6Using a large spatula flip over and pour 1 tablespoons vegetable oil around sides of pan. Swirling pan so eggs don't stick.
- 7When eggs are completely cooked, remove and serve immediatley.
- 8Repeat making these omelettes until all ingredients have been used.
- 9Should make about 4 Egg Foo Youngs.
Browse Our Top Mushroom Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Mushroom Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Shrimp and Mushroom Egg Foo Young- (Better Than Take-Out)
Serving Size: 1 (193 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 432.6
- Calories from Fat 333
- Total Fat 37.0 g
- Saturated Fat 6.6 g
- Cholesterol 412.2 mg
- Sodium 1744.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 4.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.7 g
- Sugars 2.1 g
- Protein 20.2 g
The following items or measurements are not included: