Prep 15 mins
Cook 15 mins
- 1 lb small uncooked shrimp, peeled, deveined, shells reserved
- 1 3⁄4 cups water
- 6 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 large garlic cloves, minced
- 2 1⁄2 cups thinly sliced leeks (white and pale green parts only from about 2 large)
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh oregano
- 2 teaspoons minced lemon peel
- 1⁄4 cup dry white wine
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 lb linguine
- chopped fresh parsley
- Place shrimp shells in medium saucepan. Add 1 3/4 cups water and a generous pinch of salt.
- Bring to boil over medium-high heat. Cover, reduce heat to medium-low and simmer until reduced to 1 cup liquid, about 15 minutes.
- Strain into measuring cup, pressing on shells to extract as much liquid as possible.
- Meanwhile, heat 3 tablespoons oil in heavy large skillet over medium-high heat. Add shrimp and sauté until opaque, about 2 minutes.
- Using slotted spoon, transfer to medium bowl. Reduce heat to low. Add remaining 3 tablespoons oil to same skillet.
- Add garlic and sauté until soft, about 1 minute. Stir in leeks, oregano, and lemon peel. Cover and cook until leeks are soft, about 3 minutes.
- Uncover; add wine, lemon juice, and shrimp-shell liquid. Increase heat to high and boil until reduced by half, about 2 minutes. Remove from heat.
- Cook pasta in large pot of boiling salted water until tender but still firm to bite, stirring occasionally.
- Drain, reserving 1 cup cooking liquid. Add pasta and shrimp to skillet with sauce and toss to coat. Add enough reserved cooking liquid to moisten if necessary.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper. Transfer to large bowl. Garnish with parsley.