1/1 Photo of Shrimp and Grits With Roasted Tomato, Fennel, and Sausage
1 hr 30 mins
A delicious twist on the Southern classic. This recipe comes from Sean Brock, of Husk, in Charleston, South Carolina. Mr. Brock insists on using only ingredients found in the South and locally produced, where possible.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
FOR THE ROASTED TOMATO
- 8 plum tomatoes, halved lengthwise
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- kosher salt & freshly ground black pepper
FOR THE FENNEL
- 1 large fennel bulb, trimmed (fronds reserved)
- 2 -3 cups vegetable broth or 2 -3 cups shrimp broth or 2 -3 cups water
- 1 tablespoon butter
- kosher salt
- white pepper
FOR THE GRITS
- 1 cup coarse corn grits, soaked overnight if necessary (see package instructions)
- kosher salt
- 1 fresh bay leaf
- 1 1/2 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon cream cheese
- white pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon hot sauce
FOR THE SHRIMP AND ASSEMBLY
- 1Preheat the oven to 450 degrees F.
- 2In a bowl, combine tomato, garlic, olive oil, salt and pepper; toss well.
- 3Arrange tomato halves, cut side up, on a baking sheet; roast until they collapse and are lightly browned, 25 to 30 minutes, then set aside.
- 4In a small saucepan, combine fennel, half the reserved fronds, and enough water or broth just to cover; add butter and season with salt and pepper.
- 5Bring to a boil, reduce heat to a low simmer and cook until fork tender, 8 to 10 minutes; transfer to a plate, discard cooked fronds, but reserve the cooking liquid.
- 6Meanwhile, prepare the grits according to the package directions, seasoning with salt and adding a bay leaf halfway through cooking; once cooked, mix the grits with butter, cream cheese, pepper, lemon juice, and hot sauce.
- 7Prepare the shrimp about 15 minutes before the grits are done by heating a large skillet or saute pan over medium heat, add oil, and sear shrimp 1 minute per side; add the fennel, sausage, roasted tomatoes, and 1 1/2 cups of the reserved fennel cooking liquid.
- 8Bring to a simmer, stir in lemon juice, hot sauce, salt and chopped parsley(add more fennel cooking liquid if it seem too dry).
- 9To serve, divide grits among shallow soup plates, top with shrimp mixture, and garnish with uncooked fennel fronds.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Shrimp and Grits With Roasted Tomato, Fennel, and Sausage
Serving Size: 1 (285 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 375.6
- Calories from Fat 179
- Total Fat 19.9 g
- Saturated Fat 6.8 g
- Cholesterol 60.8 mg
- Sodium 301.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 41.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 5.3 g
- Sugars 3.6 g
- Protein 9.3 g
The following items or measurements are not included: