Recipe by Little Suzy Homemaker
From the St. Pete Times. Prepare all ingredients before starting to cook because it goes very fast.
Top Review by janet b.
Yummy. The only thing I do different only because I have made this several times and it is personal preference is sprinkle cayenne pepper instead of Tabasco on the raw shrimp, use vegetable stock instead of chicken broth and a little less onion. This is a great recipe. Thanks for posting!!!!
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons hot sauce (Tabasco)
- 2 lbs raw shrimp, peeled
- 3 slices bacon, chopped
- 1 cup onion, diced
- 1⁄4 cup green pepper, diced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1⁄2 cup chicken broth
- 1⁄2 cup green onion, sliced and divided
- 5 cups water
- 1 1⁄2 cups quick-cooking grits
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine lemon juice, hot sauce and raw shrimp. Set aside.
- Cook bacon in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat until crisp. (While bacon is cooking bring 5 cups water to a boil in a separate saucepan for grits.) To the skillet add onion, bell pepper, and garlic to dripping and bacon pieces; cook 5 minutes or until tender, stirring occasionally.
- Stir in shrimp mixture, broth and 1/4 cup green onions. Cook 5 minutes or until shrimp are done, stirring frequently.
- While shrimp are cooking, add quick cooking grits to boiling water, stirring constantly. Reduce heat to low, simmer, covered for 5 minutes or until thick, stirring occasionally. Stir in butter, salt and 3/4 cup of the cheese.
- To serve, pour grits in shallow bowl. Heap shrimp on top of your serving of grits with remaining cheese and green onions.