Recipe by Lande Hoffman
This is a southern specialty that has a cajun flair. Grits do not really taste like grits when preparred this way
- 6 ounces water
- 16 ounces chicken broth (low sodium)
- 16 ounces heavy whipping cream (2-4 oz more if you like)
- 6 ounces grits (not instant)
- 3⁄4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 5 ounces cheddar cheese (shredded or cubed small)
- 2 ounces parmesan cheese
- 4 ounces cream cheese
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter (softened)
- 2 teaspoons Tabasco sauce (to taste)
- 1 teaspoon salt, to (taste)
- 1 teaspoon pepper (to taste)
- 4 slices bacon (thick slices, apple wood preferred)
- 1 lb shrimp (peeled and deviened)
- 1⁄2 cup yellow onion
- 1⁄4 cup bell pepper (red, yellow or orange)
- 8 ounces mixed mushrooms (sliced button or babby bella preferred)
- 1⁄2 cup scallion (chopped, divided)
- 4 garlic cloves (more to taste)
- 1⁄2 cup white wine (good wine prefered and more to taste)
- 1⁄2 lemon (juice it)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 -2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Grits: combine water, 12 oz chicken broth, 7.5 ounces of heavy whipping cream to a boil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Slowly whisk in grits. Stir in Kosher salt, cheeses, butter and 1/2 tabasco (to taste). If too thick, stir in a little more broth. Add salt and pepper keepin over low heat.
- Shrimp: In a large skillet over medium heat ,cook the bacon until the fat is rendered and the bacon browned. Remove the bacon and drain all but 1 tlbs of the fat. Chop bacon into bits and set aside.
- Combine flour and 1/2 tsp black pepper. Place shrimp into mixture and cover with flour. Let sit for about 5 minutes to absorb flour. This helps thicken mixture.
- In skillet with drippings, add yellow onion, bell pepper, mushroom, Saute about 3 minute Add 1/4 cup chopped scallions and garlic and saute 2 more minute.
- Turn heat to med. high. remove shrimp from flour shake off excess. Add shrimp to skillet and saute about 2 minute until shrimp lightly browned.
- Add 1/2 cup wine, using wooden spoon stir to loosen browned bits from bottom of pan. Stirring constantly slowly add 4 oz broth, 8.5 oz heavy cream, lemon juice, worcestershire sauce and tabasco. Cook about 2 minute If too thick add more broth or wine, as desired. Season with salt and pepper and spice.
- Serve: spoon grits onto four plates making a cavity in the center. Top with shrimp mixture. Garnish with bacon bits and 1 tlbs scallions. You can add lemon wedges and cajun seasoning sprinkled around plate for appearance.